Skip to content
← Facebook Archive
Facebook Archive

A brief history of the St.

A brief history of the St. Michael's Catholic Parish since Oct. 1946, appeared in the Leesville Leader, Oct. 25, 1951, along with several photographs. St. Michael's Catholic Church was…

Original Facebook post

A brief history of the St. Michael’s Catholic Parish since Oct. 1946, appeared in the Leesville Leader, Oct. 25, 1951, along with several photographs.

St. Michael’s Catholic Church was built in 1913 by the Rev. Father Quintus Vanderburg, Pastor of the Catholic Church in Many, La. Other pastors of Many, Fathers Joseph Aubree, Ludger Plauche, J. A. Benois, served St. Michael’s as a Mission Church.

In Oct. 1946, St. Michaels was established into a Parish by the late Bishop Daniel F. Desmond with Father Dennis A. Curren as Administrator. During Father Curren’s Administration, the Rectory was built.

On May 2, 1947. Father Francis Joseph Rateau was appointed Pastor of St. Michael’s by the Most Rev. Charles P. Greco, Bishop of the Alexandria Diocese. In March 1948, the adjacent property of the church was purchased and now serves as a Convent for the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. In May 1951, the new School and Hall was begun, and on Sept. 24, the Kindergarden was opened. The new building will be dedicated on Sunday, Oct. 28, 1951,