It is the only authentic log cabin in Beauregard Parish, Louisiana. It must be one of the oldest in Louisiana. It is Burk’s House, a log cabin with a mud-daub chimney built in 1883.
Today, it is well preserved for anyone to see, in Merryville, Louisiana (west of DeRidder).
The cabin was built by Andrew Jackson Burks and Buck Burks, south of Merryville on Hwy. 389 (Bancroft Highway). Four generations were raised in the cabin.
The cabin was donated to the Merryville Historical Society in 1986 by Mr. and Mrs. Ruel Franks
and Jack and Edith Franks. It was moved to Merryville and then in September 1987 was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The cabin has deteriorated over the years, so the Merryville Museum is trying to raise funds to restore it.
There is more information about the cabin on the Merryville Museum’s website: